Well, things have finally begun to settle down here. We have most of the furniture we need and everything else we need is not an absolute-must-have-it-right-now necessity. That is probably why the homesickness finally set in. I miss Texas soooooo much! So does Mike, but he has lived out here before so I think he is not in the same kind of culture shock I am.
Everything is different and I loved that at first. Now I just want my old neighborhood, restaurants, church, friends, traffic, etc. Haha. What I miss most of all is Taco Bueno. What I wouldnt give for some mexi dips and chips.
I have begun looking for work - which is stressful and depressing all at the same time. We have also visited several churches in the area but are having trouble finding people our own age. The churches here are great, but are very different from those back in Texas. Hopefully once we find our fit it will begin to feel more like home out here. Leaving the Bible belt makes a bigger difference than I thought it would. Seems like we have had lots of changes in a really short time - which equals stress for me. Mike just takes it all in stride.
Hopefully I will find work soon that I enjoy and that will give me some permanence as well. It is difficult to really settle into a place when you don't know how long you will even live there!
Well, that's all for now. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. They mean so much. Pray that we will find a great church and employment for me!!
Love you all! And miss you!!
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hey...we miss you guys, too! We are praying for your job hunt. There's a good chance I'll be speaking in California at the end of September, but it will be way up near Fresno...so I'll try to catch you another time!
I hear ya! It took us 6 months to find a church home, and even now it's a temporary thing. Not like RHCC at all, but we won't be here forever...that's not the plan, anyway. :) I crave Texas, too! ;) Anytime we visit, I must have Rosa's, Taco Bueno, Chipotle, and Chick-Fil-A if we can fit it all in. Sounds like a healthy visit, right? They just don't make restaurants here like they do there! ;)
Amy,
TEXAS MISSES YOU TOO!!! And in your honor, I will go eat mexi dips and chips for you today! Its a sacrifice, but you mean so much to me and I will do it in your honor. I am glad you guys are getting settled. We will be praying for your job situation and the church home. Love you girl!
Amy-totally random: I don't know if you remember me from Kojies but this is Bonnie Phillips (Wester now) I found your blog through Leslie's and noticed you're married to Mike. Is this the same Mike that we sent care packages to back in (what was it-2003??) He was on the same ship as my brother. If it is, is this how you guys met???
Glad to see you're doing so well. Take care!!!
Hey I do remember you Bonnie! And yes it is the same Mike from the boat! And yes that is how we met! Do you have a blog?
Post a Comment