I had a great day today! This afternoon, some of us from the law clinic got the opportunity to go to the family courthouse downtown. When we got to the courthouse there were three judges and the District Clerk of Tarrant County waiting to meet us. They gave us a tour of the courthouse, their courtrooms and even the Judges' chambers.
We also got a chance to see the District Clerk's office behind the scenes. He told us of the back up system that is in place to keep all files and court histories secure. There are several back up systems at the courthouse, but copies of all the files are kept at a secret place outside the county - just in case the courthouse ever gets destroyed.
It was fascinating to see the courtrooms. The Judge said he wasn't allowed to discuss all of the security measures in place, but he did tell us about the bench. The wall the judge sits behind is designed to withstand bullets from an AK-47! He said if we are ever in the courtroom and someone starts shooting run for his bench!
The Judges' chambers were really nice. The Judges made a special exception for us - no unauthorized court personnel are allowed to be back in the area of the chambers. We were some of the only few people who have gotten the opportunity to go back there.
It was so exciting to get to spend a few hours with the Judges and the District Clerk. They were so friendly and supportive of us. One of the Judges said if we ever needed to talk or had a question or concern to either call him or come to his court room.
Despite the friendliness the Judges don't take any chances. We had 2 armed guards with us the entire time we were with the Judges. Yikes.
I did have one frightening experience today. So far I have made it for 2 1/2 years in law school without this happening to me...every law student's worst nightmare...my phone went off in class today (thank you, Michelle). I had forgotten to turn it off before class. Fortunately it was easy to reach and I got to it quickly... unfortunately it was set on the highest ringer volume possible. Now when I hear my phone ring I cringe. I think I will have to change my ringer as part of the cleansing that must take place. I am still waiting for the Judge (my professor is a Judge here in town) to bring down the axe on me. Maybe he will forget!
Hope you all have a blessed week!
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment