First off, I will try to let you know any time I post on the Women in the Law blog posted as a link on our page. I posted a blog today - if you want to, check it out. I must issue a disclaimer however, that many of us women in Corporate America may seem as though we are "Femi-nazis." And we wear that title with pride. Being the only woman in an office of 20 men will have you running for the soapbox.
With that, on to homefront. Not too much has been going on lately. Things have been really slow around the house, so I have been spending ridiculous amounts of time with the dog. In one of those marathon-staring-at-the-wall sessions, I realized how much time I spend talking to the dog. Bizarre behavior to a certain degree. But what I find more bizarre is the fact that Jake really understands what I am saying.
Case in point: The other afternoon Jake and I were sitting in the swing in the back yard. For those of you who do not know, my dog LOVES to sit in the swing. There is no set order to how we sit, so I was surprised to hear him sighing and looking irritated this particular day. Through dog-owner mental telepathy, the thought that he might want to trade places came to my mind. I looked at the dog and asked, "would you like to trade places?" He perked up and I stood, watching him move to the side of the swing I had been sitting on. I then sat where he had been sitting and all was well. At some point I realized that my dog had clearly understood the phrase, "would you like to trade places?" having never heard it before. Is this normal?
I then began noticing all the phrases Jake seems to understand, even when hearing them for the first time:
"That is not necessary."
"What was that noise?"
"Are you hungry?"
"You are going to rug-burn your belly if you don't stop low-crawling."
"Birds are friends, not food."
"You are not being fair." - spoken in the heat of battle over the tug-of-war rope
I will keep listening for new phrases he understands. Oddly enough, it seems impossible for him to comprehend one word commands such as "no" :)
Does anyone know a good Taxidermist? I will probably be needing one when this dog finally bites the dust.
Habla Ingles literally translates to "It speaks English." I think that is a fitting title for this blog - and an even more fitting title for the dog.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is so funny!! Sadie is only 7 months, so she doesn't speak that much english yet, but I think dogs are much smarter than we give them credit for. Of course currently MY dog is walking in circles, chasing her tail...we got a smart one! ;) Miss you guys!
If I remember correctly, he rug burns more than his belly when he low-crawls! :)
Hmm... I've been talking to my cat a lot lately too, and I've had the same sort of experience - sometimes she really seems to know what I'm saying. Maybe it has something to do with body language?
Post a Comment