Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Looking for Trouble in Paradise...

Well, I know that everyone has probably been wondering if I'm ever going to contribute to this blog, and tell about my experience in Iraq so far. Well, here I am and here we go...
Like all days on any deployment, the days are pretty long. We work about 12 hrs and there are no weekends or holidays out here....it's war. I do consider myself to be pretty safe here aboard Al Asad air base, but it's never wise to get comfortable and let your guard down. I do everything I can to keep a combat mindset and remain focussed on the reason I'm here, in the enemy's backyard.
One word to sum up the climate here....miserable!!!!! It's not really that bad, once you come to terms with the fact that you're not leaving until someone higher says you're time is up. The air here is dry, really dry. When we first got here, my skin became so dry that it was all beginning to crack and peel. One good coat of lotion took care of that and I haven't had to deal with that issue again. As for the heat...what heat? The temperatures have been as low as 23 degrees since I've been here. It has even snowed a couple of times. I know....I had the same look on my face when I found that out too.
Well, I'm not done yet. Now, we've got the sand. When most folks think of the desert sand, they probably picture fine grains of beach sand that you can just run your fingers through. That's simply not the case here. The sand here is more like chalky dust. It sticks to everything, and there's nothing that is safe from it. I've heard of a "golden rule" for the sand of Iraq: If you move (sweep away or clean) Iraqi sand, mother nature has an obssesive compulsive reaction to replace the sand that has been taken from it's rightful place. So, for all of those who might visit this place...leave the sand where it lies and no more will show up to take its place.
Now that we all know about the sand...what would you think happens when it rains, here in the DESERT? Yes, it turns into something much worse. For those of you who have lived in Texas and know of the mud that sticks to your shoes and will just not come off. Think of that same, sticky substance, only now there's no grassy area to wipe your boots off. It just builds up until it's heavy enough to fall off; again and again and again. It usually takes about a week for 15 minutes worth of rain to dry up here. Remember it's not hot...yet.
When it does finally get hot out here, the highs are expected to be up in the neighborhood of 140 degrees. I....can't....wait! Now, that I've covered most of the envirnmental descriptions, I'll let you know what I do with my down-time.
Well, every day I am blessed with the opportunity to email and talk on the phone with the most precious person in my life, my wife Amy. We share all of our daily details with one another and often say a prayer together over the phone. When there have been problems with the phones I use, we just do the same via email. I've very blessed to have such a wonderful best friend and life partner to share my time with. Amy does so much to care for our home and our "big puppy" while I'm away. Please continue to pray for her as she tackles law school while still fulfilling my daily responsibilities with her own. She truly is an amazing woman.
As for other things I do... I'm currently reading through the New Testament a little each day. I'm also involved in a weekly Bible study of the book of Philippians. We started with 4 Marines and Sailors, and now have 12 in the group. Please pray for our continued growth. One more reading I'm involved in is of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Amy and I are reading and dicussing that together.
As for other things I find myself doing: schooling up my junior Marines on the art of dominoes and spades; designing the floor plan of a gym I might open one day after the USMC; working out in the gym; and I might start drawing again too. I'm doing everything I can to stay productive out here. There's always room for growth...
Well, I think I've shared enough for one entry. One last thing, before I go. If we have to go to war with anyone else (probably will), while I'm serving.....PLEASE pray it's a tropical paradise. I need a vacation!

Semper Fi and God Bless!

3 comments:

hkhines said...

It was good to hear from you Mike. You are in mine and Adrian's prayers.

The Brackeens said...

Mike, so good to hear from you, my friend. I am so glad to hear how God is blessing your group and how you are, no doubt, a blessing to all the Marines there. He uses missionaries whereever they are. I can't believe you get to talk to Amy most days. That's awesome! For some reason, I didn't think that happened. I agree that she is a strong woman. I have always wondered how military wives do it!?!? God bless you and I hope you will be safely home soon.

Kelli said...

Mike! So glad you posted! It's great to hear from you!