Tuesday, April 7, 2009

And the Lord said, "LET THERE BE SONIC!"

It is official. We now have a Sonic within driving distance of our house! Several months ago Mike came home with some great news. He told me they were building a Sonic down the street from our house! For most of you, this may not sound like a miraculous happening. But when you are so far from everything you knew as home, and one of your favorite restaurants comes to town, it just makes life so much better.
We used to sit around and say things like, "I wish there was a Sonic here so we could go get Route 44 Strawberry Lemonades." The Lord heard our grumblings! It is here! Yesterday was the grand opening of the Sonic. We knew the line would be outrageous, but when you have been waiting for 8 months for a chili-cheese coney with tots what's another 2 hours in line!?
We ventured out of the house at about 5:30 and approached the Sonic. We were directed to a "Staging Area" where we would have to wait in line. We drove. And drove. And drove some more. I told Mike we would be lucky if we got our food by 7pm. The line must have had over 100 cars. We made our way to the end of the line. What followed was moments of boredom, sheer excitement, and a bit of delirium. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story:
Finally in line, Mike has a moment of weakness. I gave him a pep-talk and we were good to go

We were given a menu to browse over. It's feeling more real! We're gonna eat Sonic!

Still waiting. We became very familiar with the family of WLD HRTS in front of us. Mike said, "Their last name had better be Hart or I'm just gonna flip out." haha. He was hungry.

The line finally splits!!!!!! We chose stall service. I mean come on, it's Sonic.

This is where the boredom kicked in. Mike decided he would like to see how many things he could successfully stack on my belly. I always put my bowls or drinks there when I am eating. He wanted to join in on the action. Unfortunately, we didn't have many stackable items in the car. I'm sure we could have made the tower higher with more things. Items shown are an umbrella, a cell phone, and sunglasses.

Finally in the stall!! The delirium hits. We are so excited we can't hardly contain it.

We finally get to order at 6:41. We got in line at 5:36...and not a single complaint was heard.

YES! FOOOOOOOOD! SONIC FOOD! AHHHHHHHH!

Still sippin on that Route 44. What a night.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

hahahha! That is awesome!

Kelli said...

So glad your Sonic cravings were finally filled... at least momentarily.

Bonniebeewester said...

Thank you for being so patient and supporting our business!!! You need to send me your address and I'll hook you up with a Sonic Gift Card :)

(PS: In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, I work for a Sonic Franchise and Chaz owns 5 Sonics. So yeah, we love Sonic too! :))

The Brackeens said...

I totally understand. A sonic opened here about a year ago. It is still about half an hour away, so we don't go much, but just knowing it's there and getting a fix every so often... :) I can't believe the line. I mean, with In-And-Out Burger (isn't that what it's called) in CA, I thought everyone would be resistant to Sonic. Guess not!

Michelle said...

Whoa...can i give you my address for a sonic gift card too?