I just had to let everyone know how proud I am of my sweet husband. A few weeks ago Mike was asked to lead the communion service at church. He was very excited to do this and I was excited for him! He got up there and delivered one of the best communion thoughts I have ever heard.
He spoke about having a new son, and what that meant to him. He then began talking about God and how he gave his son to die for us. Mike looked around the audience and said, "I have to be honest. If someone asked me to give my son's life for you...I couldn't do it. I couldn't make that sacrifice. But fortunately, I don't have to. God has already given a sacrifice." He talked about how meaningful the death of Christ is now that he has a child - now that he knows what it means to love a little body more than you could ever dream. By the time he was through, practically the whole church was crying. It brought things back into perspective for most people. We often think of Christ's sacrifice - but we don't often think of how much God must have loved us to give up his own son. For the last few weeks people have been coming to Mike and telling him how encouraged they were by his words. He has been such a blessing!
Then, late Saturday night, we got a call from our Preacher, John. He asked Mike if he wouldn't mind speaking in Bible class Sunday morning. The men's class is studying the book Point Man. It is a book about being a leader and spiritual head of your family. There was a section in there that discussed the term Semper Fi - which means "always faithful" - it is also the slogan of the Marine Corps.
John was hoping Mike could speak on just what that phrase means to a Marine. Mike gladly accepted. I wasn't there - but I think it went well considering all the men who came up to Mike telling him how meaningful the talk was. One of the deacons said that Mike almost had him crying. He told me about one part of Mike's talk:
The chapter centered around being a one woman man. Mike talked about how he has a card in his wallet that was given to him upon graduating boot camp. It is an honor, courage, commitment card based on the Semper Fi ideals. He keeps it right behind his ID. Whenever he takes out his ID to get on base, use a computer, etc...he sees that card and is reminded of his responsibilities as a marine. He asked the married men in the class to raise their left hands. He told them that they too carry an honor, courage, commitment card - and had all of them look at their wedding bands. Powerful!!!
After church, John ran out to the parking lot to grab us. He said that Mike had gone way above and beyond what he had envisioned his talk to be. He even told Mike that he would make an amazing preacher. I am so proud of Mike and his willingness to lead in church. God has given him a great gift and an even greater message to share. I am a very lucky woman to have such a good-hearted husband! I love you Mike and am so proud of the man you are.
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Oh, I wish that had been taped! Mike really is exceptional. I can't wait to hear him preach!
Post a Comment