Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Quick Update

Well, Mason is now three weeks old. It has been eventful to say the least. Memaw went home on Friday and Mike is back at work. Mason has been having issues and we are currently trying to figure out just what is going on. He has had several episodes of inconsolable crying and seems to be uncomfortable most of the time. Additionally, he will cry if he is put down - so someone has to be holding him at all times. This makes it super difficult to do anything when I am home alone!
We had a dr appt yesterday and Mason was prescribed Zantac. The dr thinks he may have reflux, since he screams when we place him on his back. There is a history of reflux on both sides of our families - as well as a sensitivity to formula on Mike's side. I have been having to supplement formula for Mason because he is such a voracious eater! We are going to try a new formula to see if that makes a difference.
Needless to say I am extremely sleep deprived. I have had about 5 hours sleep in the last three days. Last night I actually slept for almost an hour at one time - which is amazing! I have to hold Mason all night so sleeping is very difficult.
Please keep us in your prayers as we navigate this difficult time. We want Mason to feel happy and healthy - and Iwill crash at some point if I don't get some sleep!! Mike's mom is coming June 1st - so we are trying to hang on til then!!! Any comments or suggestions are welcome! We are ready to try just about anything :)
Love to you all!

4 comments:

Tera said...

Amy, I don't know if it works or not, but I just read a book called The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp and it's about calming colicky infants. It seemed pretty good and might be worth a try (I think there might even be a DVD version). Our child birth class instructor recommended it. Another thing she recommended was cranial sacral therapy which, as I understand it, works to correct trauma from birth (getting all the skull bones back in the right place) on the baby's skull, kind of like a chiropractor would do on a person's spine. Apparently having the skull out of whack from birth can make babies cry all the time. Anyway, I don't know if either one of those for sure work, but they were recommended to me.
You'll definitely be in my prayers!

The Brackeens said...

Oh Amy, I am so sorry. I totally know what you are going through. I think I slept about that much in 3 days when Hudson wasn't able to eat before his surgery, plus Chad was out of town, so it was all me. Since I've been a mom 4 weeks longer than you, I don't have any mommy advice. The reflux thing sounds like a good thing to try. I hope it is that, so you can have a solution. Hudson seems colicky and gassy a few hours at night and first thing in the morning, and we don't know what to do for him...he just cries. It's not near as bad as Masons, though. What I can say is that you can read a million books (I feel like I have...) and still can't find an answer sometimes. All these little guys are their own person, and it's so frustrating at times. We tried to follow books and it just hasn't worked out. We just want them to talk to us. We'll be praying for you! Blessings!

The Brackeens said...

Hey girl. I was praying for you this morning (at 4am when Hudson got up). I had a few thoughts. First, you should elevate the head of the crib for him. I'm sure the dr already suggested this. We got a positioner at Babies R Us so that Hudson didn't roll down the ramp when he was sleeping. The other thing I highly suggest you try is a Baby Bjorn or something like that. We got one last weekend. We didn't want to pay $80, so we got one on craigslist. Hudson likes it and I wish I hadn't waited 6 weeks. If nothing else, he will feel "held" and you might be able to get a few things done. What might help you out even more is that it keeps him in an upright position and he might like it enough that you guys could take a nap in it...you sitting up in a chair, of course. You've gotta get some sleep!

Mike and Amy said...

thanks for the comments and suggestions girls! We will be trying them!!